Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Olias Of Sunhillow

 
In 1975 Jon Anderson from Yes decided to lock himself in his garage for 6 months to work on what is one of the most epic, strange and amazing records of all time. Most likely assisted by Vangelis and his wonderful CS80; Jon- armed with a home studio, a ton of stringed instruments, drums and presumably a lot of psychedelic drugs- brought to life the story of "Olias of Sunhillow," a kindof new age space folk opera about psychically navigating a musical space ark through the universe in search of a new planet on which to live in peace.

I had seen a documentary about Yes a few months before coming to Portland in 2007 and was on a bit of a Yes kick at the time, trying to track down all of their first solo records when I found this one for around 3$ at Everyday Music on Sandy. I got home, got stoned and got my mind blown repeatedly by one of the strangest and most awesome records I've ever had the pleasure to hear... for like 6 or 7 months... Multiple times a day... I was fascinated...  It's this home recorded, other-worldly psychedelic masterpiece made by a talented dude at the top of his game who did not hold himself back. I seriously have never heard anything like it...

As for the music? It's really spaced out and other worldly... The synths are killer, the arrangements for the most part are epic and beautiful, and there are some creepy and powerful ritualistic chanting parts as well... total  It's... you just have to hear it...

The whole thing sounds as dated as it does out of time... Maybe that's why I like it so much? I dunno... Hear for yourself...  If you can find the LP that's thee way to do it because the story is written out and illustrated in a 4 page booklet in the gatefold, but until then- please get headphones, get high, relax and prepare to go......................





You can either thank me later or tell me to fuck off... But yeah... this shit is awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment